Local History Image of The Month | Archive
May 2013Hackensack River Flood, West Nyack, NY
#5218 from the Nyack Library Local History Collection
The Hackensack River floods over the Nyack Turnpike in West Nyack.
Interested in more images of storms and floods? Come see Nyackâ€™s infamous storms: an exhibit of images from the local history collection including the blizzard of 1888, the county-wide flood of 1903, 1930s floods on Route 59 and more. Now on display in the Carnegie Room display cases. View this image on HRVH
April 2013Old Budke Homestead, Bardonia
#3287 from the Nyack Library Local History collection
View on HRVH
This is currently the second oldest standing home in Rockland County. There have been recent efforts to help preserve the home: Robert Knight, "One House Lost, Effort Switches to Save 2nd," Rockland County Times, Dec. 27, 2012. If you are interested in the history of houses, come to the Nyack Library on Tuesday evening April 23rd to hear Eleanor Phillips Brackbill discuss her book, An Uncommon Cape: Researching the Histories and Mysteries of a Property. Learn more here.
March 2013Rockland Lake lighthouse in winter
Dutcher, H. F., photographer
View this image on HRVH Interested in the History of Rockland Lake and the Ice Industry? Don't miss Laurence Pringle's book talk on Saturday March 23rd at 11am.
February 2013A Bulldozer Demolishes a House in Nyack
November 19, 1962
#2441 in the Nyack Library Local History collection / View on HRVH
This house was on South Broadway in Nyack near where the Tallman Towers now stand.
January 2013Advertisement for the Hand Laboratory, Nyack, NY
#5393 Nyack Library Local History Collection
View this image on HRVH
William Henry Hand, a resident of South Nyack and an associate of Thomas Edison, founded the Hand Laboratory in 1930. This advertisement describes the features of the Hand storage batteries, which were used for police radio cars, diesel vehicles, and school buses. Listen to Mr. Hand tell the story of an experiment he did at Nyack High School:
December 2012The Easter Family at The Nyack Library Centennial
Marion Wanamaker, photographer
May 6, 1979
View this item on HRVH
Hezekiah Easter, Jr., his wife Ruth Easter, and his father, also Hezekiah Easter, attended the 1979 centennial celebration of the Nyack Library. Ruth Easter served on The Nyack Library Board of Trustees for many years and Hezekiah Easter was a prominent figure in community and political affairs. The Nyack Library has an oral history interview with Mr. Easter, Jr. conducted by Jean Pardo. Listen to a clip of Mr. Easter discussing how he loved The Nyack Library:
November 2012Water Spout
by Eugene F. Perry
Image #1638 in the Nyack Library local history collection
The recent Hurricane Sandy was not the first unique wheather event that has hit Nyack. This photograph of a photograph was donated by Noel Haskell. The original was taken July 16, 1904.
See the image and more information on HRVH.
October 2012Come to Nyack!
#5298 The Nyack Library Local History Collection
This is one of many souvenir items that was available for purchase at Nyack's Hudson - Fulton Celebration in October 1909. The event spanned a week from October third to the ninth and "special attractions every day" were promised.
View this item on HRVH
September 2012Overlooking Nyack and vicinity
This is one of many stereo cards from the local photographer Isaac Van Wagner. This is one of the classic views of the Nyacks.
View this item on HRVH
August 2012Clarkstown Country Club Stadium
View this image online at hrvh
July 2012Main Street pre-Urban renewal
#1644 from the Local History Collection
We are guessing this is 1935. This is a great look at what Nyack was like in the first half of the 20th Century before urban renewal took a chunk out of the South side of Main Street. View the image online at HRVH
June 2012This is one of many negatives the library owns from the collection of J. Fred Geist who was a Journal News photographer that documented the building of the New York State Thruway. We hope to place the entire collection online at HRVH, but for now see if you can figure out where this one was shot. It was taken September 24, 1954.
May 201236 Clinton Avenue, South Nyack
#1874 in The Nyack Library Local History Collection
This modified Second Empire house with Mansard roof was built in 1846. It is one of the many homes on the Historical Society of the Nyacks house tour on May 5th, 2012. You can purchase tickets for the house tour at http://nyackhistory.org.
April 2012This is an image of The Rockland County Journal from the issue of April 12, 1862. You can view a larger image of this page and more online at new.hrvh.org The nation was in the midst of the Civil War and the articles attest to that. The Nyack Library continues to digitize the microfilm of the Rockland County Journal. If you would like to learn more about the project or contribute, check out our kickstarter project: http://kck.st/AyESLT
March 2012Graduating Class of Rockland Female Institute
#2002 from the Nyack Library Local History collection
Seven young women, all in lovely long full dresses, gaze at the camera. Notes written on the back contain this information: Opened 1856 by Rev. L. D. Mansfield near the Hudson River at the foot of present-day Mansfield Avenue.
View online at hrvh
February 2012The John Green House
#0776 Nyack Library Local History Collection
We chose the Green House for this month's image of the month as the future of the home is in question and local historians and citizens are hoping to save it. See Bill Batson's sketch and story at Nyack News and Views.
January 2012The Aniline Factory in Nyack After the Explosion
#1291 from the Nyack Library Local History collection
The explosion at the Nyack Aniline Dye Company in January 1919 practically demolished the entire factory complex. The remaining structure is surrounded by piles of bricks thrown out by the force of the blast. This image was made from a John Scott slide.
December 2011The Tappan Zee Bridge on Opening Day?
Photographer: Geist, J. Fred
#2432 from the Local History Collection
There are no vehicles on the Tappan Zee Bridge. The bridge is completed but no cars are crossing it. Perhaps this photograph was taken on opening day.
November 2011Nyack's South Broadway, Early Morning 1885
#1710 Nyack Library Local History Collection
Original image is from the Collection of Winston C. Perry, Jr.
The long shadows indicate it's early morning. It could be November as the trees are bare. The Nyack Presbyterian Church is on the corner of DePew Avenue; across from it, the White Funeral Home. In the distance is the Doersch Building, now a bank parking lot.
October 2011Columbus Day 1912
postcard by Norman Burke
#1474 from the Nyack Library Local History Collection
The Nyack Evening Star reported on the parade saying â€śIf you want to get a little glimpse of what Italy might look like in holiday attire, wander up Main Street todayâ€¦..Christopher Columbus discovered America for the Spaniards , but in the last fifteen years his Italian descendants have been rediscovering the country for themselves . . . The rather musical strain of the Italian tongue can be heard on nearly every block.â€ť Over 3,500 electric bulbs were used.
September 2011The Wigwam
Four men - are they the Doersch Brothers? - stand in front of a business on South Broadway. This picture appears in the 1928 "Old Nyack" with this caption: "Stood on the site of the present Broadway Theatre. Horace Greeley spoke here, September 1st, 1868; 'The whole County attended, roofs and windows filled, 1500 present, 300 turned away.' Most town events centered here in this old hall 'when Grant was President.' "
July 2011North side of Main Street, just east of Franklin, Nyack, NY
Photographer Norman A. Burke
The 1910 Sanford Insurance map identifies the stores and businesses seen here. On the left, the second building on the block is a business that is unidentified. The next, with a peaked roof facade, is the Nyack Village Hall and Police Department. The one-story structure with a glass front is the plumbing, heating and tinning shop of Elbert D. McElroy. A wheelwright is next - notice the wheels stacked on the ground. Beyond that is a blacksmith, James H. Blauvelt, in a brick building. Past Bridge Street is the 1873 Onderdonk block, with shops and residences little changed since it was built.
June 2011Diploma of J. Elmer Christie
#0967 The Nyack Library Local History Collection
J. Elmer Christie graduated from the Nyack Union Free School on June 20, 1884. Many of the 19th Century images related to education and schools in the Nyacks are from the collection of J. Elmer Christie.
May 2011The Laying of the Cornerstone for The Nyack Library
May 21, 1903
#0056 from The Nyack Library local history collection
This May we rededicate the renovated Carnegie building.
April 2011Victory Parade in Nyack
#1495 from The Nyack Library local history collection
66 years ago this month they celebrated Victory over Germany and the Axis forces in Europe.
March 20111910 Nyack Basketball Champs
George Hoffer, photographer
#5242 The Nyack Library Local History Collection
online at http://www.hrvh.org/u?/nyacklib,4075
This image was part of a scrapbook recently acquired by the library.
February 2011Helen Powell Receives Books
January 11, 1954
# 1519 from The Nyack Library local history collection
Miss Helen Powell, librarian at Nyack, receiving two books on African-American history, given to the library by the Monday Evening Study Group at a history program held by the club on Friday evening in St. Philip's A. M. E. Zion Church, Nyack. The presentation is being made by Mrs. Hilda Bryant, club librarian.
January 2011North Broadway - winter scene, Upper Nyack, NY
Photographer: Brush, Frank
From the Winston C. Perry Jr. Collection
Only the runners of a sleigh or two have cut through the snow on North Broadway. The trees that overhang the roadway are in bud. Was this a late Spring snowfall?
December 2010Snow Falling on Main Street
Falling snow adds charm to this photo, featuring buildings on the south side of Main Street, just west of Broadway, circa 1900. That nearest intersection of the two streets was torn down in 1908 to make way for the Rockland County Trust Company building, now used for offices.
November 2010Armistice Day 1919
by Norman Burke
Nyack Library Local History Image #0879.jpg
On November 11, 1919 these Nyack residents celebrated the end of World War I.
October 2010G. E. Miller's Milk Wagon in Flood on Nyack's Main Street
Online at Hudson River Valley Heritage
The Echo Farm Dairy wagon, pulled by two horses, stands in flood waters. In the unusual storm of October 1903, both Felter's Ice Pond and the Nyack Brook contributed to the Main Street flood.
September 2010Oak Hill Cemetery
Local history image #3630 Photo postcard by Norman Burke
We recently acquired this photo postcard and with the current controversy over the cutting of trees by the cemetery we felt it would be interesting to show this image of the cemetery from circa 1900.
August 2010Highland Hose
#5184 from the local history collection
We recently acquired this image from an old scrapbook, so it is likely one of a kind. We selected it this month when we heard Highland Hose was celebrating its 100th anniversary: http://www.nyacknewsandviews.com/2010/08/highland-hose-5-turns-100/
July 2010Rockland Lake, NY, Lighthouse
#3628 from the local history collection
The Rockland Lake lighthouse stood in the Hudson River and just offshore of the cog railroad and docks where ice was loaded onto barges. Ferries like the Chrystenah would have also stopped at Rockland Lake Landing - and have used the lighthouse as a guide. The lighthouse always had a slight tilt. This postcard was sent to Cypress Hills, Brooklyn and has this note: "We are having a dandy time. Very busy this morning picking water lilies. Mary."
June 2010Mrs. Ella Bohr, 1950
#2224 in the local history collection
For many years, Mrs. Ella Bohr raised and lowered the flag at Memorial Park each day. Here she is hoisting the 48 star flag.
This early picture postcard view of the Nyack Library was recently acquired. Oh, how things have changed, yet soon enough we will reopen the original building.
April 2010Waiting for ferry to Tarrytown, Nyack, NY / 1930?
#3620 from the Local History Collection
At the foot of Main Street in Nyack, cars emerge from the ferry at the dock, while two rows of automobiles wait to roll onto the Tarrytown-bound boat. A billboard on the left advertises "Champion Dependable Spark Plugs.' On the right are signs proclaiming "Refreshments - Ice Cream Parlor - Gas."
March 2010Clarkstown Country Club: Two Women in Headstands
Two women are holding back to back headstands. Hudson River and a sailing vessel are in the background.
February 2010Rockland Theater: North Broadway
Photograph by Norman A. Burke
The large Rockland Theater is centered in the picture, with the Club Diner on its right and other buildings on its left. Three cars are parked on the street. (#0257 from the local history collection: http://www.hrvh.org/u?/nyacklib,184)
January 2010World War II Rescue Boats Built in Nyack
#0051 from the Local History Collection
December 2009Stagecoach at Ferry Landing, circa 1900
#0022 from the local history collection
A stagecoach carrying a woman and six men is stopped by the ferry landing. Four boys stand nearby. In the background is a huge piece of steam equipment. This photograph was made from a J. Elmer Christie glass plate negative and loaned to the library by Winston C. Perry, Jr.
November 2009Unidentified Historical Pageant in Nyack taken by Norman Burke
#7592 from the Local History Collection
On a Nyack stage is a gathering of historical figures, Native Americans and cowboys, miners and businessmen, an African-American and Lady Liberty. The huge flag in the background has 44 stars. Perhaps it is the Lyceum Theater. Thanks to Linda Goddard Schwartz for this recent donation and another old Norman Burke photograph. If anyone has more information about this image, email email@example.com, call 845-358-3370 ext. 23, or stop by the local history room.
October 2009Graycourt, the home of William Gray, circa 1885
This grand home was at the foot of Division Street on Broadway in South Nyack. There were no known photographs of the building until we recently acquired this photograph online. It surfaced in an estate sale in Texas, but now it has made its way back home to Nyack. We deduced the location by consulting the Breed's City Directory of 1894 where we found the address of William Gray. Upon consultation with South Nyack village historian Myra Starr we found in Cornelia Bedell's Now and Then Long Ago in Rockland County that President Grover Cleveland had been in the house in September 1889 and at that time expressed the opinion that it was the oddest and most attractive residence he had ever seen. In the 1930s it was remodeled and turned into apartments. The building burned in January 1959 and three women died in the fire.
September 2009Sept 2, 1918 Labor Day Parade
by Norman A. Burke
Forty men are carrying a huge flag down South Broadway. This postcard has the date written on the front, an unusual feature, and suggests that this was a Labor Day parade. Image #3173
May 2009This is the Nyack Library on January 2nd 1921. We found this photograph in the files of Library Director James Mahoney. The library will be restoring the front doors starting late in May 2009 to look like they did in this photograph.
April 2009Broadway, Nyack
This recently acquired postcard shows a portion of Broadway in Nyack which has changed substantially. The buildings on the left of the postcard are now where Tallman Towers stand. Further down Broadway you can see the old Tappan Zee Playhouse. In the distance the Reformed Church is visible. On the right side is the Doersch building at the corner of Broadway and Remsen where the bank parking lot is located.
March 2009"The Fate of Hudson" float during the 1909 Hudson Fulton celebration parade in Nyack
October 6, 1909
Fishing: Emptying the Net
Ray Hand, photographer
February 24, 1946
Three fishermen are emptying a net of striped bass while a boy watches. Left to right - Steven Orbine, Joseph Cella, Whit Johnson.
Aniline Dye Company Fire on Hudson Avenue
from the Mary Virginia Parkhurst Collection
January 31, 1919
On January 31, 1919 the Aniline Dye Plant on Cedar Hill Avenue in Nyack exploded and burned. The force of the explosion blew out all of the windows in the Liberty Street School. On the right side of this photograph you can see the corner of the old South Nyack train station.
Dorothy Hand Crawford, photographer
December 15, 1955
Crowds gathered on a cold December 15, 1955 for the official opening of the Tappan Zee Bridge. There are flags, a color guard, and a band. Cameramen stand atop cars. Many cars and a bus are in line in the eastbound lane, ready to drive across the bridge. The bridge is said to be named Tappan Zee after the Tappan tribe of Native Americans who once lived in the area - and for the Dutch "zee," an open expanse of water. Later in 1994, the bridge would be renamed Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge in honor of the former governor.
Upper Nyack School Students
The Upper Nyack Centennial history tells us that there were only two teachers on staff at this school up until 1924 and this picture seems to confirm it. The school was built in 1885 at a total cost of $6,219.53.
Tappan Zee Playhouse
The Broadway Theatre was built as a movie house but was reincarnated as the Tappan Zee Playhouse, which was on the summer stock circuit.
Junior Orangetown Fire Engine Company #1
A group of boys in firemen's uniforms pose with a miniature pumper. Pictured are: Wilton Heesz, Louis Odell, Russell Beebe, Henry Obehrens, R. Garrabrant, Harry Doersch, Dick Turneau, Harry Christie (flag), Edward J. Gilhuley, Harry Koch, Fred Christie, Harry Williams, M. Wescl, W. W. Schupner, J. Campbell, Gus Strack, John B. Odell.
The Old Stone Church
This is the Old Stone Church in Upper Nyack in the late 19th Century. It was dedicated on March 2nd, 1814. William Palmer, Nicholas Williamson, and John Green, met at the latter's house in Upper Nyack and adopted this resolution: "Resolved, that this be regarded a meeting to organize and build a Methodist Epsicopal Church; RESOLVED:-That we begin to build the Church to-morrow morning, Carried." (Old Nyack, p. 18) See what the Old Stone Church looks like today: The Village of Upper Nyack is proud to present a preview and exhibit of its new public space at the Old Stone Church during the Goosetown Bazaar Sat, May 31, from 11 to 3.
Unveiling of the Lincoln Boulder
June 13, 1908
The children of Nyack raised money to pay for the plaque which has Lincolnâ€™s Gettysburg Address inscribed on it. Nyackâ€™s veterans of the Civil War gathered for this picture with the new memorial. Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert, later wrote a letter thanking the children of Nyack who had contributed to the memorial. This letter is still in possession of the library.
South Broadway looking north after the Blizzard of 1888
Sepia, March 1888
A record of 20.9 inches of snow fell during the three day period of March 11-14. Doersch Brothers Grocers and the Reformed Church are on the left. The headline from the March 17, 1888 Rockland County Journal read: "Buried Under the Snow: the Most Severe Storm Ever Seen in this Region," and began saying: "We know that people's memories are sometimes misleading, and that more importance is generally given to unusual events than they deserve; but if there is any record in the history of this region that shows a snow-storm so gigantic and so violent as the one which fell here this week, we have failed to hear of it. Even the 'oldest inhabitants' looked with wonder on Tuesday morning upon the huge drifts which loomed up in every direction."