TALK! SING! READ! WRITE! PLAY! Sounds like fun, right? Engaging in these practices with your child is certainly a wonderful way to spend time together. It is also the way you can help develop the early literacy skills your child needs in order to succeed at reading when they enter school. According to the organization Zero to Three, the definition of early literacy is: "what children know about communication, verbal and nonverbal language, reading, and writing before they can actually read and write." Early literacy is the foundation upon which reading is built; it is not to be confused with teaching children to read at an earlier age. By supporting the Every Child Ready to Read initiative of the Public Library Association and the Association for Library Service to Children, the Nyack Library recognizes the important role parents/caregivers play as their children’s first and most important teachers. The Nyack Library Children’s Room supports parental efforts and the development of early literacy skills through:
• Story Times - Three story times are offered each week for young children. These include Mother Goose on Wednesdays for children ages 3 – 18 mos., Toddler Time on Fridays for children ages 18 mos.- 3 years, and Preschool Stories and Songs on Thursdays for children ages 3 – 5 years. All of the programs include age appropriate stories, songs, nursery rhymes and activities.
• Bilingual Program – On Tuesdays from 1:00 – 2:30, a Spanish/English program, Cuentos y Canciones, is offered for children ages 2 – 5. This program includes stories and songs in both Spanish and English, a craft, parenting discussions, and snack. The program is a collaboration between the Nyack Library and the Nyack School District’s Family Resource Centers.
• Early Literacy Kits - Early Literacy Kits are available to borrow from the Children's Room for a period of two weeks. Each of the bags includes three books, a music CD, two toys/games, suggested activities and early literacy tips. Designed for children ages 3 -5, themes include Our Pet Friends; Yum! Yum! Food; Things That Go; Colors and Counting; and Time for Sleep.
• Parenting Programs and Resources – Parenting books are maintained in the Children’s Room and include great resources on early literacy and child development. In addition, parenting and early literacy programs are offered periodically for our patrons.
• Children’s Music CD collection -- We have a large collection of music cds that are both kid and parent friendly. Take one home and sing along with your little one today!
• Board Books and Play Area – The Nyack Library Children’s Room has a very comfortable and inviting area where young children and their caretakers can play and explore. It is filled with a wonderful selection of indestructible board books and high quality toys selected for their creative potential and skill development. It is also a gathering place for young families seeking friendship and parenting support.